Tuesday, November 3, 2009

To-wit, to-who

My kids are growing up fast. And just as rapidly developing a sense of humour. A couple of days ago we'd stopped at an ATM, so there were questions from the boys about money transcations and whether you can withdraw coins from a bank. We said yes, but for that you have to go to a branch. Immediately our nine-year-old Kabir said, "Ah, that gives me an idea. Who do you call when you find a twig in your soup?" Who, we asked in unison. "The branch manager!" We couldn't help but guffaw. And, as parents, we felt so very proud. For him to absorb what he hears and use it to pun is really quite amazing.

Some months ago, while Wimbledon was on, Kabir asked me one afternoon, "Mama, what do elephants play at Wimbledon?" What, I asked. "Squash!" he proclaimed with pride. That was another original.

Our little one, Raghav, also loves jokes. But he hasn't yet started dishing out original material. Our six-year-old's current favourite is: "Knock, knock. Who's there? Sonia. Sonia who? Sonia shoe I can smell it!" So we hear that one again and again. He has tried to make up some knock, knock material, but he hasn't quite struck gold so far. One of these days......

Actually, it's no surprise that my boys have taken so keenly to jokes, especially puns. Compulsive punning runs in the families of both their parents. My husband has quite a reputation. One of his best so far came when he heard that a Bengali friend of my father's had been appointed India's envoy to Germany. "Ambassador Bonn gaya," he said. Those familiar with the Bengali accent and the Hindi language will get it.

And hubby isn't the only one. His father, my father and my brother are just as bad. Every family event has the room reverberating with laughter as one wisecrack follows another. So, given the combination of genes, I suppose my boys were pre-destined to by witty. Actually, I think it's great. There can be nothing better than a life full of laughter.

9 comments:

  1. "Ambassador Bonn gaya" is a good one...I wish I were so funny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. really enjoyed reading this piece.you kept me hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rupa,every word sounds familiar! Ours is a family of Rhymers(?)..it's a whole other world one gets transported to when one can laugh at ones own puns and Rhymes..just let the creative juices flow..the best stree buster ever.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. but bones, you are! the fact that you routinely post rib-ticklers proves your funny bone's intact (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've caught the disease too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rupa, I was wondering if it is possible for you to disable the word verification option...Frankly, it's tedious and does not always work...It'll make life easier for me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, i didn't know that was happening. will give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quick response is that,being the good Punjabi progeny that they are, it is but natural that the two "bara jokey type haga"!

    Arvind's early classic came when I asked him for his choice between rice, roti and paratha at a meal in Moti Mahal. "You know I am a naan vegetarian" was his prompt response!!!!! People who have a Punjabi way of speaking will understand why I was totally stumped on that occasion!

    Lastly, I notice a singular and unforgivable absence of the name Rupa from the list of family jokers!

    ReplyDelete