Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mirror, mirror on the wall

How vain are we getting as a people? The obsession with physical appearance is becoming positively frightening. If you're not convinced, just switch the telly on. Every second commercial is for a hair, skin or grooming product. And more than 60 percent are for skin whitening creams.

I personally believe the genuine Indian complexion is absolutely beautiful. Dusky Indian skin is so much more attractive than pasty, patchy white. I can understand people wishing to improve the quality of their skin by reversing the damage that pollution and heat cause, but I can't for the life of me figure out this white fetish. Don't people realise the result of prolonged use of such harsh chemicals is an unhealthy bleached-out look and premature ageing?

One particular brand is now plugging a body-whitening cream. Its argument is that you should try to lighten your body to match your white face. I find that absurd. Generally it's the face that is darker, more tanned than the body because it is exposed to the sun the most. Especially in India, where not that many women wear slinky clothes. Isn't it sort of dangerous encouraging women to use these products all over their bodies? Ah well, these people are looking to shore up their bottomlines. So to hell with the lines that might soon pit the skins of their gullible target demographic.

I guess all this is also because Indians are the largest group of closet racists on earth. We might hate to admit it, but we make snap decisions about people based on the colour of their skin. Why else does every prospective groom openly scout for a "fair-complexioned" wife? Why do we find ourselves being more polite to those with lighter skin?

And when it comes to first impressions (and this is more pronounced in north India than any other region in this country), Mark Twain was sadly very right. Clothes do make the man (or woman). You're only as good as your solitaire diamonds, glitzy footwear and all that covers you in between. People might not take the time to get to know you if you don't look trendy enough. That's the truth. I've been fortunate to have spent the last seven years in Mumbai and Thane where I haven't come across this annoying trait as much. People here are much more relaxed, casual and willing to appreciate you for who you are and not who you're wearing. But every time I go back to Delhi it hits me in the face and is a rude shock on each occasion.

There's more. Open the classified pages in your daily rag and you'll find endless advertisements for surgical and non-surgical body sculpting. I have to say I am most tempted to explore these every time I hit a weight plateau - that frustrating period when my exercise regimen shows results very, very, very slowly or not at all. Fortunately it is just a momentary lapse.

I can understand the morbidly obese with grievous health problems going in for drastic measures like bariatric surgery. But those who are just overweight can easily make themselves healthier with exercise and smarter choices in food. It is a long, uphill battle, especially for women who've had babies (Men are blessed with much more efficient metabolisms. It drives me insane when my husband - who is extremely erratic when it comes to exercise - looks trimmer after just two or three days of walking/jogging while it takes me months to get the same results!). But it can be done. This I can personally vouch for. I am still overweight, but I've come a long way from my nearly 85 kilo days! And I intend to shed more. Slowly.

The point of this post is that we're sadly beginning to get confused when it comes to physical appearance. The emphasis should be on being healthy. Instead it's on looking good, at whatever cost. Many in my generation of nearly middle-aged people are falling victim. But what's more alarming is that younger generations are succumbing more spectacularly. Instant gratification today could lead to prolonged regret tomorrow. Can we prevent the mirror of vanity from cracking under the strain? I suspect not.

5 comments:

  1. Nothing more to add...You've said it all...

    What are your thoughts on Delhi being more livable than Mumbai?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delhi is definitely cleaner and easier on the eye. The filth and stench of Mumbai really bother me, even after all these years. There is just a small pocket of south Mumbai that is actually pretty. Mumbai has such a long seafront but it's filthy right through, so you just can't enjoy it unless your clogged sinuses have killed your sense of smell.

    But having been away for so long, the brash and uncouth aspects of Delhi have begun to rankle. Not that they weren't apparent while I lived there, but I didn't notice it as much. Now I do. I also hate the way men there behave with women. They're like forever randy neanderthals.

    As for the positives, I like the laissez faire life of Mumbai. People aren't nosy, interfering. They're generally nice, helpful, considerate. They see you for who you are. And they're by and large more efficient. Things get done. It isn't perfect, but is better than anywhere else in the country.

    Delhi, well it's home. There isn't much going for it apart from its relative good looks. Sadly the city lacks character. But it'll always be special to me.

    Other aspects of everyday living are more or less the same in both cities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The CII study, I agree with somewhat. But I don't think Delhi is that much better in real terms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i couldn't agree more! all through my teenage years every time i went into a beauty parlour to get my legs waxed, all i'd hear would be " why don't you bleach your face?"

    and yet, I'll never forget being about 16 and standing with you in your mum's kitchen (watching machher jhol cook) and you told me that Indian women have the most beautiful and healthy skin. It stuck and I never did succumb to the bleach evangelists. There you go Rupa, saving the world one teenager at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? I don't remember this at all. But am glad it happened and I managed to convert one to my cause.

    ReplyDelete