Friday, May 28, 2010

City of ugly pooches

There's a lot of stuff that we've been noticing about Toronto since we moved here a week ago. The cleanliness, order, common courtesies etc. were all expected. But one peculiar thing I've seen is that the part of the city we're currently in is full of the ugliest pooches I've ever set eyes upon!

We're temporarily in an apartment in the affluent North York region. This area, especially around the Yonge and Finch intersection, is full of upscale condominium apartment blocks. Accommodation is extremely compact. So pets are compact too. Which is fine, even sensible. But I'm sure there are a whole host of nice looking small pooch breeds one could choose from. Instead people here seem to favour the ugly ones. Apart from the predictable pugs, poodles and chihuahuas I've seen a whole host of ugly dog breeds that I don't even know the names of. The one that took the cake had a snout like an anteater's! I spotted it during our visit to High Park on Monday. It was just the most godawfully ugly dog I have ever seen and the sighting left me speechless for a few minutes.

Don't get me wrong. I am an avid dog lover. But these Toronto pooches just don't tug at the heart strings. Having lived in Delhi and Mumbai most of my life, I am accustomed to seeing absolutely beautiful pet dogs. The day we moved out of Mumbai my husband and I spotted an Afghan hound trotting majestically up and down a street in Powai. He was an absolute stunner.

Haven't people in North York heard of apsos, spaniels, beagles and basset hounds? They're all small, but all beautiful. Or perhaps the problem is me. Maybe when it comes to dogs, I am shallow and superficial.

2 comments:

  1. C'mom Rupa, how is it that you haven't noticed the Indians?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There aren't too many in North York. You have to go west to Missisauga or Brampton for that. This part of the city feels just like Singapore or Hong Kong!

    ReplyDelete