Friday, January 8, 2010

The 'wind' beneath their wings

This is turning into a total mommy blog, isn't it? But then bringing up the kids is my primary occupation for now, so I suppose it's justified. Anyway, I'm my own boss. Any occasional reader of this blog will just have to suffer my whim if he or she chooses not to navigate away from this page instantly.

So my boys are completely obsessed with all things wind-related. Burps and farts, either genuine or feigned, are constantly echoing through our home. (No, our home doesn't smell foul. Thankfully the builder has designed an extremely well ventilated apartment). And then come the giggles, which are terribly infectious. So any attempt from either my hubby or me to sternly tell the boys that this isn't acceptable behaviour comes to nought because a hint of a smile invariably escapes.

Recently our older son had to undergo a minor medical procedure, after which the doctors asked him whether he had "passed" gas, urine and stools. He couldn't get over it! Now he very religiously informs me each time, "Mama, I just passed gas", and then dissolves into giggles.

They laugh hardest each time they make me recite a Sanskrit shloka (it isn't genuine, guys) about the supposed hierarchy of farts. I learnt this at my dad's knee and have dutifully passed the wisdom on to my children. Padakasya dhadaak raja, Tasya mantri tuntuni, Phushphushayya malaya gandha, Nishshabde praan hantika. For the sake of dignity, if there's any remaining, I will refrain from translating. (Incidentally, a version of this appeared in the new hit film 3 Idiots).

Another thing that's caught my kids' fancy is pretending to be hurt in the crotch. There's much show of cupping the groin, doubling over and writhing in imagined agony. After watching Kung Fu Panda again recently, they've taken to doing all that and then moaning "oooh, my tenders" just like Jack Black does as the voice of the animation film's lead character Po, the giant panda.

Something else my boys can't get enough of is saying chaddi, which is the Hindi word for underwear. Their twist on the old childhood ditty goes thus: Akkad bakkad bambe bo, assi nabbe pure sau, sau se nikla dhaga, chaddi leke bhaga! One day they came home from school and asked me, what's the full form of C.H.I.N.A.? Chaddi hanging is not allowed!

And their attempts to develop original jokes continue. Just this afternoon Kabir, my older one, asked me, which author is really deep? Malcolm Gladwell! (I was reading Gladwell's 'What the Dog Saw', so it was on my bedside table.) Raghav too has now met with some success in his attempts at being original. Where do ostriches live? Os-tralia! Which cars do octopuses drive? Oct-avia (Skoda)! Not bad for a six-year-old, eh?

6 comments:

  1. They are typical boys! My friends used to have farting competitions on the phone when we were in college...

    The shloka is really funny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god! They might be at it till they're in college? Eeeeeek....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha ha ! Rupa, I think you are destined to suffer at the hands of your sons!Console yourself with the fact that the boys share this irresistable fascination for farts with no less a scribe than the irrepressible Khushwant Singh!!!
    By the way, was there any need to air the fact that I may have taught you a few inappropriate doggerels when you were a child?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course! Credit must be given where it's due.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha Rupa...almost Too familiar!! BTW letting u in on a secret..It's Dad's Fav topic too :) Recently Anish took him out for a treat(a showing of 3-Idiots)since he'd been feeling left out sp when the family sat at the dinner table and laughed out loud at some random expression straight out of the movie.
    But before he was in on all the jokes my boys used the expression 'Mutra Visarjan' across the other end of the cel phone (we were driving to Chandigarh for Christmas)and they wanted a 'Pee' break.I could almost hear Dad choke with laughter!! He was quick to credit himself with having passed on all this Gyan to the grandkids(look Uncle..Dad never loses an opportunity to pat himself onthe back ;))
    It was a riot in the car ,kids rolling with laughter and Anish and I wondering what we'd started!!
    Cheers!
    Priya

    ReplyDelete