Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fling out the faux front page, please

I hate it. Just HATE it when a faux front page stares back at me first thing in the morning. Why do I have to turn a page to get to the front page? Doesn't the name say it all? It is the FRONT PAGE for god's sake. Completely self-explanatory.

I understand that the print news business is fighting for its life these days thanks to the explosion of competition from the electronic and online media. So advertisements are more important than they've ever been before. But you can't go and change the basic character of a newspaper. A reader should not have to turn a page to get to the main news. The front page should tell all.

But now, a couple of times a week, the first page of a newspaper won't tell you what's happened in the world in the past 24 hours but instead tom-tom the launch of a new property development or trumpet yet another luxury brand. I personally find it sickening. Please keep the ads inside and preserve the sanctity of the front page. Please.

3 comments:

  1. I hate it esp. when the front page is half...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it Rupa! It is even worse when the last page also carries a full-page ad. For me, the worst is of course when the newspapers carry a sort of half faux front page. This is when I get into a royal mess trying to turn over the pages!!!

    ReplyDelete